13 Ways to Add More Time for Knitting to the Day

The most common answer to my survey of what you are struggling most with in knitting:

“I wish I had more time for knitting.”

A twenty five hour day isn’t coming any time soon. As long as your feet stay planted on earth, twenty four is all you’re going to get. However, with a bit of skill you can squeeze out a couple more hours to add to your day – which means more knitting time for you!

Here’s how.

Step One: The Big Time Eaters

1. Television. This is a really good starting point if you need more time. If you can’t completely eliminate it, cut it down to only the key shows you enjoy viewing or news you need to hear. Otherwise just power-off this big time waster, or knit while watching TV.
  2. Internet. As we see a replacement of TV entertainment by the internet, it has become a big time consumer quickly. Try to go on an internet diet for a week: cut your time spent online in half. I tried it myself and although it was very hard at the beginning, it really paid off in the end and I got used to it quickly.
  3. Email. Do you really need to check your email every ten minutes? Devote some dedicated time – maybe in the morning and the afternoon – to reading and answering email. Turn off your email client in between, or you will lose your focus on each and every “you’ve got mail” notification ping sound.
  4. Games. I got totally lost in playing World of Warcraft a while ago, so I know how it is when you’re just sucked into a computer game. Cut your gaming time and use the saved time for knitting instead.
  5. Work. Cutting time spent at work is the most difficult challenge for most people. The most effective strategy is to increase productivity to get more things done in less time. If you are feeling really adventurous, read the 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris. If not, consider turning your daily commute into knitting time.
  6. Chores. Beyond just hiring a maid, there are ways you can reduce time from your chores: Cooking meals in advance, keeping things perpetually tidy, maintaining an organizing system to reduce the need for overhauls can all cut down your time usage. Establish habits.

Step Two: Use Gap Time

1. Knitting. Bring your knitting project with you at all times and get a few minutes of knitting in.
  2. Problems. Solve problems in advance during gap time so you won’t waste as much time on them later.
  3. Creativity. I use gap time to come up with new knitting pattern ideas. You can use it to come up with new ideas for work or life – or your next knitting project.

Step Three: Focus

Focus on what’s important and ignore what isn’t. The easiest way to waste hours of your day is to do “work” that isn’t getting much done at all. Here are some things to think about:

1. E-mail. Consider an auto-responder for common messages. Use concise yes or no answers for questions that don’t need a lengthy explanation.
  2. Reading. If your purpose for reading is information, learn to change your pace from a knowledge absorbing crawl up to a fast skim over unimportant details. Ignore whole chapters and focus first on the ideas that are crucial to understand, especially in textbooks.
  3. Television. If you still watch TV, tape in advance and cut the commercials. You can save up to fifteen minutes from an hour program by doing this.

Final Tip: Prioritize

The final question isn’t just of doing things faster, but of doing the right things. Constantly measure and be aware of the actual value each of your activities brings. Those that don’t add much should be simplified or eliminated entirely to focus on those that do.

Reclaim More Time For Knitting

By following at least a few of the tips above, you should be able to reclaim more time for knitting. If this article was helpful for you, make sure to let me know by leaving a comment below!

Don't miss your Friday Freebies!

Knitting today avatar kl

Join us at knitting.today to get our latest content by email and never miss a Friday Freebie ever again

We won't send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time. Powered by Seva

20 thoughts on “13 Ways to Add More Time for Knitting to the Day

• Pingback:365 Days of Shawl Knitting - knitting.today

• November 13, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Love it…and oh so true. Reclaimed time =more knitting time.

• November 13, 2017 at 5:22 pm

Another is to always have a project going you can do by feel..simple knots and purls. Things like scarves, bags, dishcloths, etc. Take it with you when you go out. You can knit while waiting for a table (unless it’s a date night). I knit while I’m watching a movie in the theater. I’m not a popcorn eater so that’s not a problem. It’s fun to look at a project and think. I watched Wonder Woman at this point, Guardians of the Galaxy at this point, etc. Drives me nuts just sitting and watching a movie anymore.

• January 10, 2018 at 8:29 pm

The only problem with this it can upset others who want to watch the movie not hear the clack or see the movement of needles

• November 13, 2017 at 5:24 pm

When I worked I was very organized and at work and home everything ran much smoother. After being retired I have let myself get very disorganized and frustrated that I am not getting done the things that I want to do let alone the things I need to do. Thank you for your tips, I see a lot that I can do to change my life for the better.

• November 13, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Good pointers! I ALWAYS take my knitting bag with me! I have spent many hours in doctors’ waiting rooms. Pulling out a fancy piece often generates oooohs and aaaahs…and opens the door to make new friends!.
    I can knit a basic pattern while reading, but if its more complex, I get a good book on Audible and let someone else read it to me! That shuts out the world–for hours. Bliss!!!

• November 13, 2017 at 5:44 pm

This is a good list. I would also suggest:
    1. Learn techniques that help you knit more efficiently, such as Continental instead of Throwing. (I just learned and in only two weeks I can knit Continental as fast as my usual method, which leads me to believe soon it will actually be faster because it is a more efficient movement.) While faster doesn’t mean “more time,” it does mean more output, which might be what you are really hoping for.
    2. I like that your list was not only thoughtful, but concise. You might also suggest that readers opt for a once-a week email instead of daily, which helps them stay in touch and learn, yet cut down on that pesky Internet time.
    3. Make Gratitude your companion. Being present to what you are doing and appreciating the time you do have is one way to make it more fully real and enjoyable.

• November 13, 2017 at 5:53 pm

Good list. All these items (except for work, for me unfortunately), are simple, common sense ways to get more time. I’ve seen and heard them all before but having them all together in a straightforward list is a help to really look at how I spend my time.

• November 13, 2017 at 6:12 pm

I recently broke both bones in my lower leg which severely restricts my mobility, I have to sit with my leg constantly raised……..so more knitting time… yippee ….however I would NOT recommend this strategy, be careful of what you wish for, but I do agree with all the other time wasting we all suffer from, however I am enjoying surfing through knitting blogs…need to pick up my needles now x

• November 14, 2017 at 12:53 am

Very, very good list! And I really like the additions made by Nancy C.. My problem is I am learning too besides trying to find the time. I can do basic stitches and knit the continial way. But i want to learn lace. That takes concentration. Thank you for the article.

• November 14, 2017 at 8:02 am

Good points, thank you! I always knit while watching TV or listen to music. And I bring my knitting project to different seminars or training sessions.

• November 14, 2017 at 11:27 pm

I do many of things that you suggested, will cut back in my computer time! Always have a project with me!

• November 17, 2017 at 3:05 pm

I find more time to knit by keeping my ipad right beside me while I knit, as I turn my work I flip through pages of pinterest for new patterns, surf on the internet, read emails and read my facebook newsfeed. So my hands are knitting and my mind reading! Of course it is for an easy knitting pattern, would not do this while making lace lol!

• December 19, 2017 at 8:21 pm

Good advice, I will try to incorporate into my day. Thanks!

• Pingback:Improving Your Knitting Skills in 30 Days - knitting.today

• February 14, 2018 at 5:06 pm

I have trouble cutting down on tv and internet and games. I am working on it and my family helps by telling me to get off the computer if I’ve been on a couple hours straight.

• March 4, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Agree. 1project for knitting at TV, one for sitting in the car while the husbond drives… ect. And knit whereever You are sitting or staying still ..or walkingyou can always find some small things to knit!

• April 4, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Thank you. Really good suggestions for managing time better.

• April 5, 2018 at 5:30 pm

My husband and I seldom watch TV. He prefers to read, and I like to knit or read. I sometimes listen to podcasts while knitting. I could knit while watching TV, but I really don’t like TV except for PBS. If we go somewhere in the car, he drives and I knit. My friends in my knitting group think I am a fast knitter, but I think it is just that I knit a lot because I love to knit.

• May 5, 2018 at 5:17 pm

I love this article. I’m 70 and addicted to the internet. I have a timer beside me right now and I’m going to try to break the habit.